Kent County League Representative XI


Tuesday, 13th November 2018 – Kent County League Representative XI v Essex Olympian League – Rochester United FC – Kick-Off 7:45pm



York Minster Engineering League 4 v 1 Kent County Football League

The Rep team’s first semi-final appearance in the competition for 12 years ended in defeat at snowy Harrogate.

Home striker Chris Dyson headed over the bar after only two minutes, but Kent had their chances in the first 45 minutes.

Riley Alford saw his cross fall across the face of the home goal, while James Trueman saw his effort squirm off the keeper’s gloves for a corner. They fell behind nine minutes after half time when a defensive mix-up left Andy Simpson with the simple chance to score into an empty net.

Substitute George Latham put Kent level six minutes later, his third goal in two ties this season, lobbing the home keeper from the edge of the box.

Ali Amisu’s header was saved 13 minutes from time and then Adam Phillips nodded Sam Conlon’s corner just wide four minutes from the end, as extra-time beckoned again, following the win over the Essex & Suffolk Border League last month. It was York substitute Liam Sanderson who proved the match-winner with a 17-minute hat-trick.

Sent on 10 minutes from the end of normal time, he had already seen one shot touched for a corner by Kent keeper Jack Moore three minutes earlier, before breaking the deadlock seven minutes into extra-time.

He made it 3-1 two minutes after the break, before completing his treble, curling home a direct free-kick from the edge of the box.

He won the York League’s Man of the Match award, with Ryan Perkin winning  the Kent vote from the hosts.

Darren Phillips reflected on the Kent County League’s FA Inter-League Cup semi-final defeat against the York League believing the 4-1 extra-time defeat at Harrogate was the team’s best performance over 90 minutes in the competition this season.

Ali Amisu and Adam Phillips both had chances to win the tie – inside the final 15 minutes of normal time, only for home substitute Liam Sanderson’s rapid hat-trick to settle the tie.

Rep team manager Phillips said: “The lad came on and made a massive difference.

“He had complete pace and the free-kick in the top corner (for the fourth goal) was absolutely brilliant.

“The scoreline was irrelevant in the end – and didn’t really reflect the way the game went.

“I think we had the best squad in the three ties we have played – and had more than enough chances to come away with the win in 90 minutes, but York done the job in extra-time.”

The run to the last four included come from behind wins at Dorset and Jersey, before a penalty shoot-out win over the Essex & Suffolk Border League. Just naming a squad was the hardest part for Phillips ahead of the opening round trip to Dorset. Numerous withdrawals left him with a scratch squad – many meeting for the first time at the pick-up point at Dartford.

He said: “The result was a surprise because I was just grateful that the ones who were there wanted to play.

“We then won in Jersey,  by far the best team we have played, and I think we could have beaten the Essex & Suffolk Border with 10 men in normal time, if we had taken our chances.

“We then went to Yorkshire with the strongest squad – at one stage we had 25 players available, and it was hard to pick from, before people started to withdraw due to work etc.

“ I felt it was the biggest opportunity to reach the final we could have had – semi-finals are the worst place to lose.”

The game looks set to be the last in KCL representative football for long serving Otford United midfielder Jamie Knight. 

Phillips said: “Jamie reckons it’s probably him done, and wants to know how many games he has played.

“I think he has been nearly every squad I have picked in my time in charge, which must be in the mid-20s,if not more, but the next competition isn’t likely to start until October/November 2019.

Phillips admitted it was tough on Knight’s Otford team-mates Rory Catt and Sam Truman who missed out on playing a part in the game against Yorkshire.

“Not everybody can play, but it’s all part of being a member of the squad, “ Phillips added.

As for coach Jack Deans he will continue scouting games for the rest of the season looking for the next crop of players to earn representative honours.

Team: Jack Moore (Welling Town), Mark Howells (Kennington), James Trueman (Greenways), Adam Phillips (Kennington), Ryan Perkin (Greenways), Joe Fisher (Kennington), Tom Scorer (Kennington), Sam Conlon ( Kennington), Riley Alford( Deal Sports), Ali Amisu (Peckham Town), Lemarl Hubbard (Welling Town).

Subs: George Latham (Borden Village) – replaced Lemarl Hubbard, Matt Hadlum (Kennington) replaced Joe Fisher, Jamie Knight (Otford United) replaced Riley Alford.

Subs (not used): Rory Catt, Sam Truman (Otford United).

REPRESENTATIVE XI vs Essex & Suffolk Border League

FA Inter League Cup 3rd Round – Saturday, 17th February 2018

Essex & Suffolk Border League  1 v 1  Kent County Football League -AET – KCL win 4-3 on penalties

The Rep teams’s journey in the FA Inter-League Cup continues, our third away trip, third time we go a goal behind and our third win sees the team secure a semi-final place!

The first half was evenly contested with neither side taking control and with few clear cut chances being created the score was 0-0 at the break. Just 5 minutes into the second half the home team took the lead, a through ball put Lawrence Hale through and he slotted confidently into the bottom corner. Just 5 minutes later things appeared to get a lot worse for the KCL team when  keeper Justin Lee came out of his area and handled the ball seeing him receive a straight red card.

This caused a major re-organisation, as with no substitute keeper Dale Davis took over the gloves, at the same time the team decided to take the tie to their opponents and dominated the remainder of the half. The ESBL relied mainly to long balls for their speedy forwards with most dealt with comfortably by Davis. The KCL did have some good fortune when a rare time the ESBL did get into the box the ball firmly struck the post with the rebound being blazed over the bar.

The 10 men from Kent continued to dominate the game and their efforts were rewarded in time added on when following some neat passing, substitute Joe Fisher fired across the keeper into the right hand corner. Following the goal team numbers were evened up when an ESBL player received a red card for an off the ball incident.

The KCL team remained on the front foot throughout extra time but neither side could add to the score so the game finished 1-1 and penalties would decide the game.

Replacement keeper Dale Davis stepped up to the plate saving two of the ESBL kicks before Ali Amisu confidently scored his penalty to secure the 4-3 win a very hard fought match.

In the Semi-Final the KCL team will travel again having been drawn away to the York Football League on a date to be arranged.

Team: 1. Justin Lee (Otford United); 2. Ross Penrose (Greenways); 3. Jamie Knight (C) (Otford United); 4. Dale Davis (Kennington); 5. Sam Trueman (Otford United); 6. Adam Phillips (Kennington); 7. Rory Catt (Otford United); 8. Ryan Perkin (Greenways); 9. George Latham (Borden Village); 10. Ali Amisu (Peckham Town); 11. Tom Scorer (Kennington).

Subs: 12. Jake Jess (Deal Sports); 14. Riley Alford (Deal Sports); 15. Joe Fisher (Kennington); 17. James Trueman (Greenways). 


The second round of the FA Inter League Cup took place on Saturday, 16th December when the Kent County League team travelled to St. Helier to take on the Jersey Combination League. And we won!

An Amazing 3-1 win – with goals from George Latham (2) and substitute, Daniel Hanshaw. 

Photos from the game are on the Gallery page (click here

SATURDAY, 16th December

Jersey Combination League 1

Kent County Football League 3

FA Inter-League Cup – 2nd Round

Two-goal George Latham and substitute Dan  Hanshaw earned the Kent County League Representative side a place in the quarter-finals of the FA Inter League Cup with a 3-1 win over Jersey’s Combination League in St Helier on Saturday.

They now face a third successive away tie against the Essex and Suffolk Border League  in February.

Borden Village striker Latham, making his first start, scored twice in the space of five minutes as Kent came from behind to lead at half-time. The home side suffered another blow with skipper Luke Campbell sent off early in the second half, following an off the ball incident.

Kent came strong in the second half and settled the tie in front of the 142 crowd on the 3G pitch at the impressive Springfield Stadium complex, when Cuxton hot-shot Hanshaw, a 72nd minute replacement for Latham, got on the end of a huge clearance from Otford United goalkeeper Justin Lee to nod over Jersey opposite number Jose Figueira into an empty net.

Kent had chances to add to their lead before Lee saved well from scorer Adam Trotter late on.

The visitors shrugged off an early start, ahead of a breakfast time departure from Gatwick to claim another excellent win,  and a second come-from-behind success, following the 3-2 win over Dorset in Swanage two months ago.

As then, Kent were under the cosh early on, the home side going close several times, the difference this time is they were ahead at half-time, instead of behind. Trotter glided in at the far post to fire home past Lee eight minutes before half-time. 

Latham made it 1-1 60 seconds later, heading home from close-range, finishing off fellow striker Ali Amisu’s set-up. The pair had worked hard to create the chance, and Latham struck again soon afterwards, running onto a long ball, before tucking the ball inside the near post as Figueroa came off his line. He wasn’t far away from getting a third, shooting wide of the far post, and went close again just before the interval.

Kent were on the front foot from the restart, ahead of Campbell’s early red card. Play had switched to halfway when Sussex referee Rob King halted play, consulted his assistant and dismissed the Jersey captain, a key figure for the Islanders, and his club,  St Peter – semi-finalists in the Kent Reliance Intermediate Challenge Shield.

Lee’s clubmate, skipper Jamie Knight was at the heart of much of Kent’s good work, while  Greenways left back James Trueman was another who caught the eye in a strong second half display.

Campbell’s dismissal was a blow from which Jersey never recovered and Hanshaw’s brave header, his first goal for the side, capped another good afternoon.

Darren Phillips, hailed the Jersey win as a “great result”. The 3-1 victory and a place in the last eight  is the reward, but manager Phillips reckoned the margin of victory could have been bigger. He struggled to name a squad before the 3-2 win in Dorset in October, following numerous cry-offs, but it was a different story this time with Greenways player-manager Rob Jeffrey, the only withdrawal.

Phillips said: “It was a great result, but I thought we made hard work of it really.

“We started slowly against a side who showed they play together a lot, and had plenty of possession, but didn’t do a great deal with it.

“For us it is all about picking the squad and see who turns up, but this time Rob was the only one missing because of an injury and replaced by another Greenways player Josh Taylor

“It’s just nice to have the players you pick here, and obviously coming all this way and winning is good for the lads.”

He added: “Conceding the first goal was perhaps what we needed to get us going.

“We scored straight afterwards and I said to the boys at half-time we only had three attempts on goal, and scored two of them.

“Second half we didn’t create too many clear chances either, but Dan Hanshaw went on and scored the third with a brave header because he could have been wiped out by the keeper.

“George (Latham) is a striker who has been around the league a long time with Borden Village.

“He is one of those players who hits 20 goals a season, so can score at this level, and took both very calmly.

“Tactically we looked to play 4-5-1. but changed to 5-3-2, with skipper Jamie Knight playing in another different position.

“Everything revolved around him – a player who has probably now played around 25 games for the Rep side which must be some sort of record.

“He has been involved in every one I have been in charge of in the last six years.”

Jersey manager Martin Cassidy. speaking to BBC local radio after the game, said: “Their keeper was man-of-the-match, and won every single crossed ball.

“He is a bit of a maverick, but it worked for him, everything came off, and we didn’t have the savvy to work something out ourselves”

Phillips hopes to arrange a friendly next month ahead of the trip to face the Essex & Suffolk Border League in February, with date and venue to be confirmed.

He said: “The more we play together you never know what my happen.

“We have got to treat it as another Cup Final. and go for it.”


Justin Lee (Otford United FC); Rory Catt (Otford Unite FC); Sam Truman (Otford United FC); James Knight (Otford United FC); Andrew Knight (Otford United FC); Ali Amisu (Peckham  Town FC); Harry Yates (Kennington FC); Ross Penrose (Greenways FC); James  Trueman (Greenways FC); Ryan  Perkin (Greenways FC); George Latham (Borden Village FC); Daniel Hanshaw (Cuxton 91 FC); Matthew  Gething (Cuxton 91 FC); Dean Whittingham (Rochester City FC).

Manager: Darren Phillips; Coaching Staff: Jack Deans & Michael Langston

Saturday, 14th October 2017

Dorset Premier League 2 v 3 Kent County League – FA Inter-League Cup 1st Round

Two goal Kenneth Llo and Ali Amisu grabbed the scoring honours but the Kent County League’s 3-2 FA Inter League Cup First Round win over the Dorset Premier League at Swanage on Saturday was a great team effort.

Trailing 2-1 at half time, the Peckham Town pair, Llo and Amisu, completed the impressive second half comeback and earn the representative side a trip to Jersey.

A week spent assembling a squad following a succession of call-offs, resulted in travelling West with only 13 players, five from Otford United and three more from Rochester City, meeting up with the rest at Dartford FC on Saturday morning.

Manager Darren Phillips said it was the best result in his four year tenure in the job.

“I was very proud of everyone involved. we didn’t have time to work on tactics,  it was all about doing the basics right, hard work and who wanted it more.

“Ali was the best player on the pitch. In the second half I was thinking by just how many we were going to win by.”

He added: “We named the squad of 16, but were down to five at one stage, and it’s disappointing because (Chairman) Cyril Windiate and everybody work so hard to get these games on.”

One of the League’s proudest moments in recent times was finishing group runners-up behind eventual winners Czech Republic in the third staging of the UEFA Regions Cup in Estonia in 2002.

In a message to the squad following this latest win, Mr Windiate said: “Congratulations to the whole management team  Darren, Mike Langston and Jack Deans and the squad who gave all we ask for, 100% and a little bit more.”

Kent had the best of the chances early on through skipper Jamie Knight (twice) and Otford United team-mate Rory Catt, denied by a fine save from home keeper Sam Watts, only to then fall behind. Josh Payne fired Dorset in front after 21 minutes following a swift break down the right.

 Kent were level within 10 minutes, following  Llo’s run into the box, and great footwork before tucking the ball inside near post. Parity didn’t last long – Payne firing home Dorset’s second with almost a carbon copy finish three minutes before half-time. Catt was foiled again by Watts past the hour mark, then Dorset’s Nathan Saxby slid one effort wide, and Lee Gale missed a sitter.

Amisu headed Kent level following a corner, before Llo tucked away the winner to cap an impressive comeback in the warm October sunshine.

Knight was the only survivor from the team that lost when the two sides met in the same competition four years ago.

The League Rep side are in action again next month when they meet the Essex Olympian League at Aveley.

To View Gallery page click here


Tuesday, 18th October 2016

Andreas Carter Sports Joma Kent County League 1 v 3 PROKIT Essex Olympian League


Under 21

Saturday 25th April 2015

Kent County League Under 21 0 v 3 Essex Olympian League Under 21

Tuesday, 24th March 2015

PROKIT Essex Olympian League 1 v 0 NRG GYM Kent County league XI

Wednesday 11th March 2015 – FA Inter League Cup

Kent County Football League 1 V 2 Spartan South Midlands League

Match Report by Andrew Gidley

Tom Gibbons’  stoppage-time goal proved only consolation as the Kent County League Rep Xl made an early exit from the FA Inter- League Cup. Gibbons headed in Aaron Kleman’s free-kick just before the end as Kent bowed it beaten 2-1 by the Spartan South Midlands League at Chatham.

“Disappointed and frustrated” was manager Darren Phillips’ reaction immediately after the tie at Maidstone Road at the end of a long day which had seen him battle against numerous late call- offs. Kent made a disappointing start, going a goal down after only three minutes when Nathan Graham knocked in a free-kick from close-range, only to injure himself in the process. He carried on after treatment, but was hurt again midway through the half, and looking very unsteady on his feet was replaced.

Defender Rob Quick then headed Aaron Kleman’s corner wide four minutes later. Kent made two changes at half-time with Kerran Boylan and Mickey Smith replacing Billy Shinners and Arun Surman. Boylan created problems on the hour forcing visiting goalkeeper Ashley Jenkins to race off his line.

However SSML made sure if victory six minutes from time – following a quick break from a Kent corner with Aston Goss beating James Bradley inside his near post. Gibbons’ late  goal came too late to make any difference as Kent bowed out.

Meanwhile SSML benefited from fielding a side representing member club Hale Leys and their organisation and understanding proved crucial – as the visitors scored their first ever goal and first win in the competition.

Kent: James Bradley (Stansfeld O&B Club), Rob Quick (Metrogas), Nick White ( University of Kent), Callum Hill (Otford United), Rikki Holmes (Greenways), Tom Gibbons (Metrogas), Arun Surman (Guru Nanak) replaced by Mickey Smith (46mins), George Hayes (Tenterden Town) replaced by Tommy Vine (Guru Nanak) (60mins), Billy Shinners (Stansfeld O&B Club) replaced by Kerran Boylan (Holland Sports) (46 mins). Aaron Kleman (Greenways), Jamie Knight (Otford United).

Match Preview by Andrew Gidley

Darren Phillips says home advantage will be a major factor when the Kent County League Rep side begin their FA Inter-League campaign against Spartans South Midlands League at Chatham on Wednesday March 11. The Kent manager this week named three squads for forthcoming matches beginning with the tie against SSML. Kent then face the Essex Olympian League at Hornchurch on Tuesday March 24, before a combined rep team made up of players from the Kent County League and NRG Gym U21 Development Division take on the Essex Olympian League U21’s at Herne Bay on Saturday April 25.

Phillips said: ” Being at home is good, the squad is pretty much the same as we had last season. We are without the Gorman brothers who are unavailable, but Kerran Boylan of Holland Sports is one new face who we have watched, and who has scored 23 goals this season. Arun Suman, who I think is the brightest young player in the league is among the stand-by squad. He will also captain the Under 21’s.” He added “Picking the squads has been incredibly difficult, we have spent the past 18 months identifying players from across the divisions, a number of the players have been involved before, a number were with us when we beat Sussex 3-2 and the AFA 5-4 at Uxbridge in last year’s national competition. “The disappointment was felt when we lost 1-0 to Dorset with a last minute goal in the last 16.”

The squads for the following three games are as follows; Kent County League Rep Team Squad vs Spartan South Midlands: James Bradley – Stansfeld O&B, James Wade – Stansfeld O&B, Billy Shinners – Stansfeld O&B, Jamie Knight – Otford United, Callum Hill – Otford United, Nick White – University of Kent, Rikki Holmes – Greenways, Nick Donaldson – Greenways, Aaron Kleman – Greenways, Tom Gibbons – Metrogas, Tom Forster – Metrogas (Captain), Danny Beszant – Metrogas, Pat Hitchen – Metrogas, Rob Quick – Metrogas, George Hayes – Tenterden Town, Kerran Boylan – Holland Sports

Standby: Marc Morrison – APM Contrast, Arun Suman – Guru Nanak, Rob Jeffrey – Greenways, Sam Ryan – Stansfeld O&B, Sean O’Sullivan – Metrogas, Nathan Moseley – Hildenborough Athletic, Dan Mitchell – Hildenborough Athletic

Kent County League Rep Team Squad vs Essex Olympian League: Daniel Edwards – Metrogas, Rob Quick – Metrogas, Danny Gorman – Metrogas, Gary Gorman – Metrogas, Sean O’Sullivan – Metrogas, Rob Jeffrey – Greenways (Captain), Michael Tubb – Hildenborough Athletic, Nathan Moseley – Hildenborough Athletic, Marc Morrison – APM Contrast, Tom Forster – Metrogas, Callum Hill – Otford United, Jamie Knight – Otford United, George Hayes – Tenterden Town, Kerran Boylan – Holland Sports, Arun Suman – Guru Nanak, Tommy Vine – Guru Nanak, George Latham – Borden Village

Standby: Wayne Brown – Tudor Sports, Paul Hewett – Metrogas, Ross Frost – Borden Village, Ross Penrose – Greenways, Aaron Kleman – Greenways
Terry Knott – Fleetdown United, Steadman Callender – Phoenix Sports u21’s
Kent County NRG Gyms u21 Rep Team Squad vs Essex U21’s: Matt Blendell – Greenwich Borough U21, Ross Phillips – Greenwich Borough U21, Ennis Fyffe – Greenwich Borough U21, Arun Suman – Guru Nanak (Captain), Steadman Callender – Phoenix Sports U21, Steven Murray – Herne Bay U21, Conor Partridge – Herne Bay U21, Newman Poku – Herne Bay U21, Connor Charlton – Soccer Elite, Ellis Iandolo – Soccer EliteJack Miles – Sevenoaks Town U21, Nick White – UniVERSITY of Kent, Thomas Bell – Fleetdown United, Christie Pattison – Cray Wanderers Youth U21.

Wednesday 29th October 2014

Kent County Football League 4 V 5 Sports Recruiting USA

KCFL XI DSC00381 DSC00387

A very entertaining fixture in difficult weather conditions saw both teams share nine goals.

The Kent County League gave debuts to 11 players. A bright start saw our opponents take an early 2-0 lead which was then extended to 3-0 after thirty minutes. The fight back began with two excellent goals from exciting forwards Steadman Callender and Lamarl Hubbard. We created plenty of opportunities in the first half but failed to convert but gave ourselves a chance to get back into the game against our lively opponents made up from players from the South of England, one of which traveled from Cornwall.

The second half started better, five substitutions were made and we gained control for the first 15 minutes until a long back pass was cut out only for the Sports Recruitment USA forward to slot home for 4-2! More Kent pressure led to more chances and two goals in five minutes from Jonny Murray who showed excellent skills to round the keeper and two defenders to score made it 4-3. George Hayes completed the come back with a excellent dipping volley from the edge of the box on 80 minutes to level the score at 4-4. Only for the visitors to break away from one of our many late corner to score the winner with three minutes left!

An excellent worthwhile evening giving us more options going forward into the Essex match and FA Inter League Cup.

Kent County League Team

1. Olly Dewey
2. Rhys Hodges – (South Ashford U21)
3. Nick White – (Uni of Kent) (Captain)
4. Bobby Watkins – (Kent FA U16 Captain 2013/14)
5. Steven Murray – (Herne Bay U21)
6. Connor Partridge – (Herne Bay U21)
7. Arun Suman – (Guru Nanak)
8. George Hayes – (Tenterden Town)
9. Steadman Callender – (Phoenix Sports U21)
10. Lamarl Hubbard – (Lewisham Borough U21)
11. Jonathan Shea – (Sevenoaks Town U21/Chipstead)

12. Callum Hill – (Otford United)
14. Jamie Knight – (Otford United)
15. Mitchell Laing – (Soccer Elite U21)
16. Terry Knott – (Fleetdown United)
17. Thomas Bell – (Fleetdown United)
18. Jonny Murray – (Erith & Belvedere U21)

Watch the full match courtesy of our friends at Sports Recruiting USA

FA Inter-League Cup – Second Round

Saturday, 14th December 2013

Haart of Kent County League  0  v  1  Dorset Premier League

Match Report by Andrew Gidley

A goal seven minutes into stoppage-time by Alan Linaker knocked  the haart of Kent County League out of the FA Inter-League Cup at Chatham on Saturday.

The game looked set to go to extra time when Kent defender Dan Mitchell conceded a free- kick on the edge of the box. Dorset midfielder Alan Hallloran,  who moments earlier had hobbled back onto the pitch after lengthy treatment, curled his set-piece against the crossbar and Linaker touched in the rebound to win the second round tie at windy Maidstone Road.

Seconds later Essex referee Stephen Moore blew the final whistle, earning Dorset a home quarter final against the holders Jersey FA.

The Kent manager Darren Phillips said: “We didn’t create enough and went through the motions a bit, and didn’t really show what we can do.”

Phillips pointed to only two real chances in the game – Carlum Macleod’s first half effort being tipped onto the bar, while Aaron Kleman saw his near post strike pushed away by goalkeeper Simon Bleasdon after nutmegging a defender on the edge of the box.

Kent goalkeeper James Bradley  pawed an early effort off his line, as Dorset went close, then Ashley Smith dragged another effort wide.

The visitors created three good chances in the space of six minutes, before Klemen shot wide after good build-up involving substitute Steve Adhmore and Macleod, before the latter was replaced by Daniel Bradshaw.

Kent survived another scare late on as the ball seemed to hit bar and post, before Linaker pounced to settle the contest.

Kent County League: James Bradley, James Wade, Rob Jeffrey, Dan Miitchell, John Ralph, Jamie Knight (Sean O’Sullivan 46 mins), Callum Hill, Tom Forster, Chris Rowley (Steve Ashmore 46mins), Aaron Kleman, Carlum Macleod (Dan Bradshaw 71mins).

Subs not used: Harry Yates, Ben Smart.


Wednesday, 11th December 2013

haart of Kent County League 3 v 1 Essex Olympian League

Rep Team v EssexMatch Report by Andrew Gidley

Aaron Klemen scored the pick of the goals as the haart of Kent County League beat the Essex Olympian Lesgue 3-1 in a friendly at Rochester United on Wednesday night. The Greenways striker  produced a perfect finish eight minutes from time to get Kent’s third, shooting home from 25-yards to settle the contest.

Essex started the game two players short and suffered another early blow when striker Gavin Cockman was forced off and taken to hospital with a suspected broken right ankle.

Sheppey and Sheerness defender John Ralph headed Kent in front after six minutes, but Essex goalkeeper Richard Insole produced several good saves to deny the home side a bigger advantage.

Essex pulled level 14 minutes into the second half when John Wightman scored from the spot, after he was brought down by Ralph’s clubmate Ben Smart.

Substitute James Wade restored Kent’s lead converting a left wing cross by Tudor Sports left back Daniel Bennett.

Saturday, 12th October

FA Inter-League Cup 1st Round

Southern Amateur League 5 vs 6 haart of Kent County League – AET

Match Report by Andrew Gidley

Super-sub Carlum Macleod came off the bench to score twice and win a penalty as the haart of Kent County League Rep side came from 4-2 down to beat the Southern Amateur League 6-5 after-extra-time to reach the second round of the FA Inter-League Cup at Uxbridge on Saturday.

The victory, hailed by KCL officials as their best ever in representative football, looked unlikely when the SAL scored three times in 15 minutes to come from 2-1 down in the second half.

Michael Classen (50 min) curled home from 20-yards, Alan Taylor (58 min) made it 3-2 following a poor clearance by Bradley, and David Breeze (65 min) added the fourth after Peter Eguae laid the ball back from the byline.

However Kennington striker Macleod and fellow-sub Steve Ashmore of Hildenborough Athletic, introduced in a double-change on the hour, netted twice in three minutes to make it 4-4. with 10 minutes left in normal time.

Macleod (77 min) knocked in Gorman’s cross, and then Ashmore converted Nick Donaldson’s set-up.

A last-ditch tackle denied Macleod a possible winner with two minutes left, then KCL goalkeeper James Bradley’s brave injury-time block stopped his side conceding a late winner.

The Stansfeld stopper was injured in the process -and forced to limp through extra-time.

However it didn’t stop him from playing a big part in setting up the County League’s fifth  in the 104th minute – route one stuff – Macleod gambling on Bradley’s long  punt downfield –  before flicking the ball over the on-rushing SAL keeper Russell Hodges.

Macleod was involved again two minutes after half-time. A pacy run into the area ended when he was tripped by a defender and Stansfeld’s Chris Rowley stepped up to convert the penalty.

Metrogas defender Tom Gibbons then had to leave the field for treatment after a blow underneath his left eye.

However he was back on the field when SAL got their fifth, substitute Chevaun Kerr knocking the ball in following a corner with five minutes left.

The 11th goal of the tie set-up an exciting finale, with the final whistle completing a fine win for manager Darren Phillips and his players.

Nobody could have predicted the goal fest at half-time with the score 1-1.

Bradley made a brave block at one end, before Gary Gorman put KCL ahead after 14 minutes, only for Breeze to slide home the equaliser on the half hour with an angled finish.

KCL: James Bradley (Stansfeld O&B Club), Russell Jeffrey (Greenways), Jamie Knight (Otford United), Tom Forster (Metrogas), Dan Mitchell (Staplehurst Monarchs United), Tom Gibbons (Metrogas), Callum Hill (Otford United), Nick Donaldson (Greenways), Gary Gorman (Metrogas), Chris Rowley (Metrogas), Aaron Kleman (Greenways).

Subs: Steve Ashmore ( Hildenborough Athletic replaced Callum Hill (60 mins), Carlum Macleod (Kennington) replaced Aaron Klemen (60 mins), Danny Beszant (Bexley Borough) replaced Tom Forster (63mins) Subs (not used): Josh Hornby (Greenways), Jamie Leggett ( Bexley Borough).

After the match Andrew Gidley spoke with Manager, Darren Phillips

Darren Phillips was delighted to see his Kent County Rep side progress in the FA Inter-League Cup with a 6-5 win over the Southern Amateur League at Uxbridge on Saturday.

Two friendlies and one training session was all the preparation Phillips had with his squad – his plans further complicated by several withdrawals due to injuries.

Phillips said “It is great to carry on in the competition, if could have been over on Saturday- leaving only three friendlies to be played between now and the end of the season.

It was great to see the boys come back from 4-2 down because it would have been easy for them to go through the motions in the last 20 minutes.

We got the two goals to get back to 4-4 and went on from there”.

He added: “It’s almost impossible to coach tactics and formations, because we don’t see them until a week before the game. It was down to hard work and a big of quality in front of goal – the four strikers scored five of the six goals, so that was very pleasing. Two of the  substitutes came on and scored. I said to them in the dressing room, being on the bench doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be able to have an impact on the game.

Danny Beszant came on and changed the game with his passing in midfield, spraying it around, we probably gave the ball away too easily in the first half.

Carlum could have started quite easily, but he wasn’t available for training at Dartford last week, and he didn’t play in two friendlies because of travel problems.

I know he scored goals – he does it every week for Kennington, so to get him on and see him score two was very pleasing. He took his second one very well- and he could have got another one as well.”