John Cooper – Old Bromleians FC

New Ground Name and Presentation 

Saturday 3rd February 2018 

John Jay Cooper was born on 13th October 1926, and lived in the family home in Park End, Bromley. He went to Raglan Road Primary school and later went to Bromley Grammar School in Hayes Lane; this is where the link to Old Bromleians Football Club (OBFC) started as he became eligible to play for them.

After finishing school he entered the army and became a Staff Sargent with the Royal Artillery. While serving in the army he received a letter from OBFC asking him to play for one of the sides, his Major saw this and thought he must be a good footballer and promptly told him he was to trial for the army team. Coops only played one game and was dropped!

He started playing regularly in 1948 and soon became the 3rd team captain and not long after then he became a committee member. Coops and Ernie Lane had an idea to buy the land at Lower Gravel Road from the council and put it to the committee. The committee did not agree but Coops and Ernie did not give in, subsequently all the committee fell out and resigned, the rest is history.

In 1948 Coops became the Hon Match Secretary, a job he still does today with great enthusiasm and he became President in 1986.

Coops, not surprisingly, has received awards for his services to football:
• FA Commemorative Medallion for services to Football.
• Keith Busby Memorial award from the FA 1990
• Kent FA Football Workforce Certificate for outstanding service 2004

Photos by Julie Hoare